giovedì 5 febbraio 2009

FOR LAUREN WE CHOSE LIFE

To those with compassion for life,

My name is Randy Richardson. I am the father of Lauren Richardson. My family and daughter have been in a legal battle for almost two years concerning the right to life. This court case has many flaws and short comings. The courts along with society, failed to realize the love and compassion needed to help in my daughter’s recovery. In the early stage of our case, the court and the doctors established the quality and value of my daughter’s life. The doctors made strong statements which revealed no possible recovery and wanted to eliminate Lauren’s basic care, food and water. At the present time, Lauren has surpassed every obstacle the doctors said would not happen. I credit God and the time we gained in our court case for Lauren’s improved condition. This becomes some of the problem.



The court and all those involved, tried to move quickly and isolate the person in their time of need to help in their recovery. My daughter just needed time and love, to heal. We give God the glory for Lauren’s present and future condition.

The sad part of this is when the dust settles, and people have time to consider that life itself is the most precious gift of all. As God determines the fate of each person on earth, we must not abandon the ones in need, in need of love and compassion. Treating others as you may want to be treated. Being kind to someone never hurts us. Helping in a time of need will enrich your life and those around you. Love is a wonderful thing. It is something we can share and it does not cost us anything. I have been asked some questions. After long consideration, I will try to answer them and wish to share these with you. My thoughts were about Eluana’s father. It is not his place to give or take life. I believe in God and feel it is not for us as people to judge and render decisions on another person’s life. Eluana did not decide to be disabled or in her present condition. I feel my daughter Lauren is a gift and a true blessing to me and my family. We would be forever lost if we did not give her and ourselves a chance to live out her life with as much love and care as possible. To make a decision to take someone’s life will forever be part of his life and I feel he would regret that decision dearly. As a father we try to do what is best for our children. I know he is trying to decide what is best for Eluana, but he must realize all the love that she shares with all the people that come in contact with her. He must allow others to help care and love Eluana for the person she is now, full of life and love in her own way. I mean no disrespect to Eluana’s father, but Eluana is alive and has people willing to help care for her. What does it hurt to let your daughter live?



I thank God everyday that Lauren is here with us. The true story about our situation has not yet been told. It is very sad what has happened to Lauren and others like her. People need to live with love and compassion, not fear or pity. Why must there always be people so willing to throw the first stone.



Question; Lauren’s life prior to her accident.



Lauren was a very quite girl. She failed to make the best decisions after meeting her boyfriend. She was very independent and willing to work to achieve her goals. After Lauren’s accident, she needed our help and support to recover to a state where she will become self sufficient. I do not know at what point her recovery will be complete, but we must try. That is what parents do. It is not easy being a parent.



Question; Lauren’s situation affects our relationship.



Lauren’s mother and I have been divorced for about 20 years, and maintained a good relationship until the medical staff at the hospital divided our families and convinced Lauren’s mother that there was absolutely no hope for Lauren. Someday the world will know that everything the doctors said as turned out to be WRONG. Lauren’s mother took a chance and started visiting Lauren on a regular basin and started seeing changes. Changes that meant Lauren deserved a chance. Something that is very important to remember is to stay active and involved in a person’s life in order to stimulate their recovery. If you leave a person alone and unable to receive love and care they will not thrive. They will wither like a flower without light and water. Every person needs love, shelter, food and water to exist. To help in someone’s recovery it takes more. It takes a lot of love and compassion and with time you may see results. You will not see any results if you do not try.



Question; What would Lauren say today?



At this point we know Lauren gets very emotional when certain things are talked about in her presence. I am certain Lauren would thank each person that took the time to help care for her and her little girl. She would also tell every one, of the pain and suffering that has taken place because of a Judicial System that tried to take control and end her life. And most of all, Lauren would thank her mother for not giving up on her. It is because of her mother taking the extra time and having the compassion for Lauren and her child, that this is now possible. You see, we are just now able to help Lauren. The court system put a hold on Lauren’s treatment and therapy. They isolated our case and would not allow the story to be told. So I pray, before this is all over, Lauren will have a lot to say.



Question; My meaning of hope.



Hope is what we did not find in the hospital. Hope was something that the nurses could not talk about. It then became “false hope”. Hope is what a family needs in their time of crisis. As a parent you hope your child will be blessed and have a better life than you had. Only God knows what is in store for each of us. To be honest, without hope, for a better world, for peace, for good health, for any and all of our dreams, what would be our reason to exist? What purpose would it serve not to have hope, especially in our fellow man? HOPE, a peaceful wish from the heart.



Question; Am I a religious person?



YES!!! I never realize how it would set me apart until my daughter’s case.



After the hospital found out Lauren was an organ donor, I was asked constantly about releasing Lauren’s care, to “unplug her”. This was a question I faced on a daily basis.



I was told that it was cruel to keep Lauren like this. That the daughter I once knew was no longer with us. It was a shame to keep Lauren in this painful state.



At the same time we were told Lauren may not make it through the day. So I had a hard time understanding why we were living hour to hour or day to day and that we should give up on Lauren. At this time I made a statement that would become a major problem in my court case. I said “Let God be God and I will do my best to be her father”, that I would be there to help in any way. I felt that I could not make a decision to end my daughter’s life. It would be the greatest burden I would have to carry the rest of my life. I love my daughter, and I trust my God. The court and doctors called me delusional, and not willing to face reality. The reality is Lauren is making a remarkable recovery and that the doctors were wrong in their statements of Lauren’s possibilities.



Question; What would I say to Eluana’s father?



I would show him the greatest respect for helping his daughter through the years, and I could say that “ I am one of a very few people that knows what he is going through”. I would love to share my personal story about my daughter and the love that she brings to so many. I do not want to condemn him, but let him know there is a light at the end of this tunnel. A light that shines with love. Eluana. His daughter.



(Randy Richardson)




SEGNALA CONDIVIDI STAMPA COMMENTA QUESTO ARTICOLO

Nessun commento: